Olivier has just redirected getgnulinux.org to getgnulinux.no-ip.info. Now all visitors of getgnulinux.org will be automatically redirected to getgnulinux.no-ip.info.
Olivier has also sent me the files from the public GNU/Linux Matters svn repository. It turns out that a lot of the work I’ve done so far (creating PHP pages and implementing gettext support) was already done. The repository contains PHP pages very similar to the ones I’ve created. So I’ve basically reinvented the wheel here. But I don’t see this as a bad thing because it was fun hacking on ggl.org data and I learned some new stuff as well. What I’ll do next is optimize the website with the help of the data from the GLM svn repository. This includes copying the internationalization (i18n) comments that were used in the original PHP files. These comments can be automatically extracted by `gettext’ and saved to the PO files. These i18n comments support the translator in translating the English strings to his/her own language.
The GLM svn repository also contains the other languages files in gettext format. So I’m going to add these to the GGL bzr repository so that these will be automatically imported into Launchpad Translations.
The new translation system has been successfully implemented. Anyone can now
start using Launchpad Translations to help translate the “get GNU/Linux!” website.
I’ve requested the language files in .po gettext format from Olivier Cleynen. Until he sends me the these files the website will only be available in English.
I’m also working on improving the layout of the website (preview). I’m applying some new styles with the use of CSS3. These include web fonts, rounded corners, transition effects and drop shadows. I’ve started working on the headers and on the navigation bar. And because I’m deeply in love with the navigation bar of the new gnome.org website, I’ll probably use that design for the new navigation bar. One major improvement in the headers is that the title text “get GNU/Linux!” – originally part of the blue header image – is now actual text so that the title can be translated as well.